5.29.2009

Nice to meet you, Me at 36. I've been waiting for you. or EDIM: VEINTE Y NUEVE



Love after Love

The time will come
when, with elation,
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the other’s welcome,
and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you
all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,
the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

-Derek Walcott

2 comments:

Ann said...

upon reading this I have to say how deeply it touched my heart. Knowing this poem wasn't written just for me but it is a excerpt out of book of life . I love this blog to pieces !You are a wonderful chica!

ButterflyChica said...

awww, thanks, ann! i always appreciate your comments. and yes, when i read this quote it touched my heart in the same way. we never forget our first loves because our first love was ourself!