9.13.2013

Just a few things Friday

As I drove to the market this morning the fog hung heavy.  Every so often I would catch a glimpse of a bright yellow leaf and even a few deep red ones.  Fall is definitely on its way.  Oh, it might still be 80 degrees outside, but Fall isn't waiting. And despite that heat I had a craving for soup.  My all-time favorite is broccoli cheese. I'm always looking for a great, simple recipe and I think I've found it!  This one was listed on HuffPost Taste, but it's from Campbell's Kitchen.  I made half the recipe which made about 2 full bowls.  I changed a few things to suit my taste. My changes are in parentheses.  The soup was exactly the kind of broccoli cheese soup I crave.



Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth  (I used beef broth)
1 10oz. package frozen broccoli, thawed and chopped (I used fresh broccoli)
2 cups nonfat milk  (I used 1% milk)
1 1/2 cups cheese  (I used shredded colby jack cheddar cheese)
(I used shredded carrot to garnish)


Directions
Heat the butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook until it's tender.
Stir in the flour.  Add the broth and stir until the mixture is smooth.  Cook and stir until the mixture boils and thickens.  Add the broccoli and cook for 2 minutes.  Reduce the heat to low. Add the milk and cheese and cook, stirring until the cheese is melted.


I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

While eating my soup today I found the cutest fashion blog.  It's A Skirt A Day. Shey, the blogger, focuses on super sweet thrift store finds.  Her ensembles remind me of Chuck from Pushing Daisies. Love it! If you get some free time today, check her out.

And, yesterday I was able to watch my daughter's volleyball game. It's the second game of the season.  They lost *waaahhh* but I still had a fun time watching her and her team work together.  Those girls can hustle!  This is her very first year playing volleyball and I'm so proud of how hard she worked to make the team.  As much as I complain about rushing her and her brother here and there for different sports practices, I'm truly grateful that they stay active and enjoy team sports.  Tomorrow we are off to soccer.  They sure do keep me busy! 




2 comments:

Ann said...

great blog and woo hoo for volley ball

ButterflyChica said...

i'm so glad to be back and thank you for the vote of confidence!